** "Offbeat hilarious!" ** "RA tingles & laughs" ** "True to the characters! " ** "The fiction is great. Keep it up!" **

Monday, March 7, 2011

Pass On A Book Week

Vaughn: "That book ´Now you too can master Spookology´ was not meant to be passed on!!"

Last week was -correct me if I´m wrong- some sort of "pass on a book" week in the UK to pass on your favourite book.  From what I´ve heard there were five selected books especially printed in large volumes to add to this cause. The BBC aired the tv-programme My Life In Books around the theme ´pass on a book´ in which within a half hour two people brought their own favourite books in their youth and afterwards and talked about what has given them the reading sparks. A very accessible programme, a bit awkward in the interactions, but nothing nuff about it. It actually gave me a little cheer, in thinking the British have some sort of culture after all!

The typical British (left) and the Dutch (right) skeletons ;)

When a new biography of Roald Dahl was introduced in my country recently, and I don´t know if was it mentioned in this programme, I heard an example of the true nature of the British. For instance the British didn´t understand and appreciate the late writer Roald Dahl as much as he was appreciated in The Netherlands. He had a way of communicating with people and his belief that fantasy is more important than reality was not very common. 

We Dutch have a similar book passing-on occasion for years. It´s called "Boekenweek" (book week) which starts this Wednesday (!).  To promote the book sales "het Nationale Boekenweekgeschenk" (national book week gift) is handed out with every book one buys. Every year the book week has a theme and a famous writer is asked to write a short story within that theme. This year, the theme is ´written portraits´.

Now on the pass-on book action. If I really object a book, I can´t pass it on. Found on my bookshelf a book which I stored out of my sight. I received this book with a little note years ago after an emotional event. Still have times I try to read it, to find out the giver´s intention. Books I have finished, I can pass on, unless I want to keep them, so I have to buy new one.  Books I do buy, are not always interesting to others. For quality books I go to the library. Most of the times, people request a certain book for their birthdays which I don´t have. Occasionally, I read a particular book which is also perfect for so-and-so.
~~~~~~~~~

Uncover the cover, for I will now reveal my current list. No Bookerprice winners, nor Charles Dickens´ biographies (in my possession), neither a top 10 of e-books. Just my actual overview.

Still in doubt if I want to read these...
 Do I let myself get surprised by the film
or do I read the book beforehand?

Nice woman, Nigella Lawson, but this food is very English
(think marmelade cupcakes) and I have to lose weight ;/
Moved to luring reading Men´s Health (yeah, so?) on
abdominal workout sessions, food schedules :)

 I´m so into this mindblowing book, right now.
My observation skills were first like a painter (distances, moods),
but now like an actor (psycho, density)
Remember it´s just a set of tools (DIY).

No doubt, just had to buy these.
Started reading chapters here and there..
The Tazbeks were so sweet
to pass on Lucas´ Black Book.
For marketing reasons
it hasn´t been published yet.
The author is too ruffled by recent events.

Illegal excerpt
My own wrong doing: RA The Fellowship Of The Beard

Spoiler: there will be NO mention of a non-violent death... *stares at clip*

Sources: Kudos/BBC/UKTV, Dutch Temple of Civilisation, Amazon, RANet/moi

No comments: