** "Offbeat hilarious!" ** "RA tingles & laughs" ** "True to the characters! " ** "The fiction is great. Keep it up!" **

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Interpreting British DIY

"What? Now? It´s 3:00am!"

Watch out for RAndom DIY quotes! After hearing this British joke, the cultural aspect of it sheds new light on interpreting the undertone of these quotes. I mentioned this previously on my blog.

Cultural joke:

In France when a woman is having a romantic interlude, she says: "Sacré coeurs! Toujour amour!"
In Italy when a woman is having a romantic interlude, she says: "Sempre amore! Molto amore!"
In Britain when a woman is having a romantic interlude, she looks up and she goes: "That ceiling needs doing. It's all gone flaky! How about a fitting wardrobe? When are you gonna do something about that shed? I will have to bring a man in!"

May I suggest this bloke:

"My idea of a passionate weekend is doing DIY. I'm pretty handy with a screwdriver. But is that sexy?
I don't think so!"

Ken Dodd who made this joke, is a fond reader of ´The Rover´, he once said in an interview with Dawn French (Vicar of Dibley). Yes, the circle is round again!

Sources: RichardArmitageNet Spooks, Miranda Hart

No comments: